Here is a list of places that might be worth investigating. Some would not make good club trips because of difficult access, but others might turn into regular spots:
- The Talisman mine above Laurier – 4×4 road but said to have interesting stuff and an incredible view.
- The volcanic pinnacles near Springdale – a geologic anomaly, also fossils near the limestone kilns in Springdale
- Beryl Crystals – I don’t know of a place where the club has gone for these that is still open but would like to find one
- Pegmatite Gems – there is a lot of slow-cooled granite up Ruby Creek and Winchester Creek – hike in exploration
- The First Thought mine area is huge, should be something worth seeing there
- The Napoleon Mine – I met a guy who knows it well. Produced iron, may have nice pyrites
- Garnets – Steve Fox is looking for a site and I have heard of others.
- The Big Iron Mine – reportedly interesting magnetite and other stuff
- The Melrose Mine north of Northport – reportedly huge opening, lead, pyrite, zinc